Sunday, April 22, 2007

Bad Mom, Good Mom

So the kid's report card came yesterday. I had my standard knee jerk reaction and decided to think about it for a while. Thought about it.....Slept on it.....knit on my afghan square and thought about it....watched a couple of movies, made and ate dinner and decided that "yep, I had the approach.

Kid is now only to drive on Mon and Wed. And only those days because he has to get to college before I can get off work. Anything else and I will take and/or pick up. Let's just say it was met with the standard response of "I was going to start doing the work but now I'm not". To which I laid out the plan of proove to me that you are doing the work and we will re-instate car on a trial basis, but the minute the grades fall again - car is again lost. He's upstairs sulking.

I admit I am far more driven than he is - but honestly if he would just do is homework he would get passing grades. And since we are now in a position that he may have to go to summer school or not graduate on time (yes, he failed chemistry) - I'm done with agreements and working with him to a "reasonable" solution. You don't keep your end - I don't need to keep mine. The kid is smart - smarter than I am probably - there's no reason for this.

No comments: